Hinduism Beliefs and Traditions in Memes Proposal
In my blog, I will be describing how Hinduism is portrayed in memes in today's popular culture. I will research the stereotypes and portrayals of Hinduism that are used in these memes. Specifically, I plan to look at how memes utilize a comedic strategy to educate viewers on Hindu beliefs and traditions. Hinduism is a religion that I am familiar with, but am intrigued to learn more about. The reason I immediately wanted to write my blog about Hinduism, was because I had already known of a Hindu stereotype. So, I wanted to know more about the religion and wanted to see what other portrayals of this religion exists in the media. The first meme I have included in today's post took a commonly known phrase, "YOLO", and turned it into "YORUT". "YOLO" means "You only live once" where as the meme says "You only reincarnate once", a comical way to teach viewers of media that the Hindu faith believes in reincarnation. The second example addresses a common stereotype that people hold regarding Hinduism. The stereotype is that Hindu's pray to cows, when in fact they just respect and value them so they refrain from eating beef (Basu, 9 Myths About Hinduism, Debunked, CNN).
1. https://images1.memedroid.com/images/UPLOADED16/4fd6c0662605b.jpeg
2. http://www.bruceonpolitics.com/wp-content/uploads/2016/02/Hindu-beef-650.jpg
Works Cited:
Basu, Moni. “9 Myths about Hinduism, Debunked.” CNN, Cable News Network, 3 Mar. 2017,www.cnn.com/2017/03/03/world/believer-hinduism-nine-myths-debunked/index.html.


Of to a good start!
ReplyDelete