Tuesday, October 17, 2017

Hindu Memes---> How values regarding God, Beliefs, and Rituals are turned into Memes

How Do I Find My Memes and How Do I Choose Which Memes To Use?
My strategy for selecting memes for my blog, includes searching Google Images for memes that are either about beliefs or rituals belonging to Hindu's or searching memes about Hindu stereotypes. From there, I analyze the memes to see what values, traditions, or stereotypes I recognize from research I have conducted regarding Hinduism's basic beliefs and rituals. I also look to see what stereotypes might be produced from these beliefs and rituals that can be seen in memes. The memes that I choose must feature a stereotype or use comedy to portray Hindu beliefs, values, or rituals.
Examples of Hindu Related Memes and What They Tell us about Hinduism: 
1.
2.
3. 
4. 

      In class, we have been discussing and learning about the three characteristics of religion, transcendence, beliefs, and practices. All three of these characteristics can be seen in Memes, specifically the four Memes I have chosen in today's blog post regarding Hinduism. In this post, I will be explaining how these characteristics can be seen in these various memes. 

      Meme #1 that says, "The beef is so undercooked, Hindus are still worshipping it". This meme is pointing out a specific belief of Hinduism, that being the respect Hindu's have for cows. According to an article titled, "Why do Hindus worship the cow?", Hindu's do not worship the cow like they worship God. Instead, they see it as a creature that is always giving and never taking. It sustains life on earth and should be honored (“Why Do Hindus Worship the Cow?”, 2016 ). The cow also symbolizes some of Hinduism's most sacred values, including, "dignity, strength, endurance, maternity and selfless service" (“Why Do Hindus Worship the Cow?”, 2016 ). 

      Meme #2 highlights another one of Hindu's most basic beliefs, which is reincarnation. Hindus believe in "samsara", which means that they go through cycles of life and death and that the success of their current lives are dependent on their previous lives (Religions - Hinduism: Moksha.”, 2006). This meme is a play on a phrase that is commonly known throughout society today, "Yolo" or "You only live once". Since Hindus do not believe that you only live once, the creator of this meme took a popular phrase, and adjusted it to comedically teach viewers about the belief of reincarnation.

      Meme #3, which says, "Are indian people born with them Bindi's on their head?" points out a popular practice in Hinduism, which is wearing the Bindi. According to an article titled, "Bindi: Investigating the True Meaning Behind the Hindu Forehead Dot", the bindi can simply be a sign of marriage (“Bindi: Investigating the True Meaning Behind the Hindu Forehead Dot.”, 2016). But, it is also believed in Hindu culture that all people have a third eye. Our two eyes see what is going on in the external world but this third eye, symbolized by the Bindi, looks to God. The Bindi also is a symbol for piety and reminds Hindus to always keep God in their thoughts (“Bindi: Investigating the True Meaning Behind the Hindu Forehead Dot.”, 2016). 

      Meme #4 says, "Hey I just met you, and this is crazy! But our parents arranged us, so we're getting married!". This meme is making fun of the belief that "Marriage is a sacramental union in the Hindu faith" and that  “One is incomplete and considered unholy if they do not marry” (“Arranged Marriages, Matchmakers, and Dowries in India.”, 2014 ). Because of these beliefs, the ritual of matchmakers and parents being  responsible for selecting a spouse for their child and making sure they wed was created and is utilized in the Hindu faith.  

      From analyzing the previous memes, we can see that the beliefs and practices that are highlighted are the Hindu's respect for cows, belief in reincarnation, ritual wearing of the Bindi, and their use of arranged marriages. In my opinion, these specific beliefs and practices are highlighted for two reasons. The first reason is that most of these practices and beliefs are commonly known by people who are not Hindu, so in a way it serves simply as comedy. But, I also believe that the creators of these memes included these practices and beliefs to educate people. By poking fun at some of these values and practices, it shows viewers that their stereotypes regarding Hinduism might not be true, and that there is more to learn about this faith. The type of humor being used in these memes seems to be sarcasm. The creators of these memes overdramatize stereotypes about Hinduism. I believe that this type of humor frames Hinduism in a way that shows people that these stereotypes are ridiculous, and require further analysis of the religion. It shows that there is much more to Hinduism than the overdramatized stereotypes featured in the media.  

      Overall, Hinduism is being presented as a religion filled with odd rituals and practices because they are being portrayed very simply. These memes do not feautre the in depth explanations for these beliefs and traditions, so they can seem rather comical. 

Works Cited: 
Ancient-origins. “Bindi: Investigating the True Meaning Behind the Hindu Forehead Dot.”Ancient
ehind-hindu-forehead-dot-007272

“Arranged Marriages, Matchmakers, and Dowries in India.” Postcolonial Studies

scholarblogs.emory.edu/postcolonialstudies/2014/06/20/arranged-marriages-matchmakers-and-
dowries-in-india/.

Religions - Hinduism: Moksha.” BBC, BBC, 19 July 2006, www.bbc.co.uk/religion/religions/hinduism/beliefs/moksha.shtml.


“Why Do Hindus Worship the Cow?” National Hindu Students' Forum (UK), 3 Jan. 2016, www.nhsf.org.uk/2007/05/why-do-hindus-worship-the-cow/.

Works Cited Images: 
1. http://www.bruceonpolitics.com/wp-content/uploads/2016/02/Hindu-beef-650.jpg
2. https://images1.memedroid.com/images/UPLOADED16/4fd6c0662605b.jpeg
3. http://s2.quickmeme.com/img/cb/cb7ca6dd5969391b3c516b94cbc3dddcf8684cd4c2d25d7f2bf6a309dbb5e2d7.jpg
4. https://pics.me.me/hey-i-just-met-you-and-thisis-crazy-but-our-1284515.png

2 comments:

  1. I think this is a great take on Hinduism memes. I agree with your idea that the ideas represented in the memes are somewhat common knowledge to the general public. I also support your analysis that the reason that the memes are comical are because they display complicated ideas simplistically. However, I am not sure I agree with your analysis of the fourth meme. It is a common misconception that Hindus require an arranged marriage, however, this idea is from Indian culture rather than Hindu culture. While it is easy to intermix these two cultures, one can be Indian without being Hindu and vice versa. Nevertheless, your blog and your explanations do a good job of decreasing stereotypes of Hinduism.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Good work. Make sure you keep posting about each new meme your add to your sample on an individual level as you have done here!

    ReplyDelete

Final Blog

My case study focuses on how Hinduism is portrayed in memes in today's popular culture. Specifically, I am looking at certain Hindu rel...